No doubt you’ve experienced the “joy” of AT LEAST one clogged by now, even if you’re new to the home ownership scene.
Still, did you know that the leading cause of drain clogs is neglect? In the kitchen, for example, not using the drain strainer or pouring grease down your drain can cause problems. In the bathroom, flushing excessive amounts of toilet paper – not to mention paper towels, disposable diapers, and more – is also a recipe for disaster.
Blocked drains can be caused by factors, as well, that might not readily come to mind. These include a build-up of sediment from hard water inside your pipes, pipe erosion, tree root infiltration into underground drain lines, and crushed drain lines.
Home drain cleaning and prevention remedies.
Using caustic chemical drain cleaning fluids is not the best way to clean or prevent clogged drains. Besides posing health and safety risks, chemical drain cleaners can corrode your pipes and, over time, result in the need for pipe repair or replacement. Plus, they’re about as environmentally unfriendly as it gets.
Instead, you can clean and prevent further blocked drain problems with regular applications of baking soda, vinegar, and hot water. Here’s how:
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain.
- Follow that with a cup of white vinegar, pouring it a little at a time.
- Let that mixture sit for about a half hour.
- Then run piping hot water for about two minutes.
Here are a few more self-help solutions:
- Install strainers over kitchen and bathroom drains to prevent hair, soap, and food bits from getting inside your pipes.
- Run cold water while using your garbage disposal and for an extra 20 seconds once you turn it off to completely flush food particles down the drain.
- Once a week, pour hot water down your drains to help dissolve and flush grease, soap scum, hair and more before it can result in a clog.
While prevention will help keep your drains and toilets free and clear of clogs, sooner or later you’re bound to run into a problem. When you do, contact Service Pros for fast and dependable results, no matter how small or big the problem.