It seems normal enough for folks living here in the Memphis area, but talk to people in many other parts of the country, and they just scratch their heads in wonder. Over what? Over the fact that most of us have our water heaters in the attic! It’s too cold come winter to keep them outside, so how many other choices do we really have?!
Well, while attic-housed water heaters may be our norm, that doesn’t mean our norm always works our as planned. Just ask anyone who’s ever returned home only to find a flooded living room caused by, you guessed it, a leaking water heater.
So, what’s a Memphis area family to do? Here’s an idea: if it’s time to replace your water heater, consider replacing it with a tankless system. Just like the name sounds, a tankless system has no storage tank, and no storage tank means a greatly reduced risk of water leakage in your attic.
A tankless system heats water only as you need it. Once you turn on a hot water faucet or appliance, cold water flows into the system’s wall-mounted heat exchanger. There, it’s heated and sent immediately to its destination. So simple in design, and so effective in its performance.
Here’s what else you can expect from a tankless water heater:
- Terrific energy savings since water doesn’t have to be heated 24/7 as it does inside a storage tank.
- You can purchase a “whole-house” or “booster” system – the latter increases the amount of hot water available in your bathroom or other specific location.
- Tankless water heaters have a shelf life up to 20 years compared to 8 – 12 years for storage tank models.
- With the right sized tankless water heater, you’ll never run out of hot water.
- By getting rid of that clunky old storage tank system, you’ll gain more storage space, too.
If replacing your water heater is one of your hot agenda items, contact Service Pros today for answers to all your questions and a free in-home quote. We’re here to take the worry out of coming home to a watery mess.